On Friday night the Tiger football players will have yellow ribbons on their helmets showing awareness and support of Pediatric Cancer Awareness. Each player has donated a minimum of $1 to wear the sticker. The donations will go to the Children’s Oncology Group, which does research studies on the kids who are receiving chemotherapy treatments nationwide including here at Arkansas Children’s Hospital. (https://childrensoncologygroup.org/)
A few stats:
- Cancer is diagnosed each year in about 175,000 children ages 14 and under worldwide.
- Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease past infancy for U.S. children.
- However, thanks to better therapies, more than 80% of U.S. childhood cancer patients now become long-term survivors.
- Survival rates can vary depending on the type of cancer.
- About 420,000 childhood cancer survivors live in the U.S., with many more around the world.
Childhood Cancer…it seem like just a statistic until it hits your family!